Wednesday, December 3, 2014

JLA/Avengers by Kurt Busiek




Since I was a kid, I have always loved reading comic books. And I still remember the pure joy I felt when DC and Marvel got together and wrote a joint Superman/Spider-Man adventure. I still remember Spidey trying to punch out Supes. Since then I have kept my eye out any DC/Marvel crossovers. They are few and far between.

JLA/Avengers was a series that pitted these two iconic super teams against each other. This graphic novel contains that series. It starts off with some different DC/Marvel universes being destroyed. The destroyer turns out to be Kronos, an Oan (these are the little blue dudes who started the Green Lantern Corps) exiled due to his obsession with finding out what happened before the Big Bang. His initial inquiries were a disaster and were punished by introducing evil into the DC universes. Kronos is still looking for his answer.

In a bid to save the universes, the Grandmaster, a godlike being from the Marvel Universes, proposes a bet with Kronos. Each will get a team of superheroes and they have to find 12 objects of power. The team that collects the most wins. The losing team will have their universe destroyed.

That sets the stage for some pretty awesome battles. But what I liked even better was the way Busiek pointed out the contrasts between how super-powered beings are treated in each universe. And I totally love the ending. A time and universe bending battle.

George Perez, the artist, did an outstanding job. He captured the feel of each universe and the splash scenes for the battle were out of this world (sometimes literally).

I probably do not need to say it by now, but I give this book a very high recommendation. Definitely worth the time to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment