Monday, December 1, 2014

Injustice: Gods Among Us, Vol. 1 by Tom Taylor




I am not a videogame player. Not my thing. So I was unsure how I would like Injustice: Gods Among Us, Vol. 1. It is based on a popular videogame. I shouldn't have worried. I didn't need to be familiar with the game to be able to get into this story.

It is an alternate universe story. I really enjoy those quite a lot. The premise here is what if the world's superheroes, led by Superman, decide to take over for our own good? Broken by the cruelty of the Joker, Superman decides that he can no longer let evil and/or warfare exist while it is in his power to stop it. Wonder Woman has been waiting for him to decide this and enthusiastically joins his cause, as do most of the other super-powered heroes.

Batman, however, does not agree. He has not lost sight of the need for people to have free will and decide for themselves how they want to live, even with the inevitable disasters that entails. This sets up the basic conflict. Which vision of the world will win? And what lengths are the heroes willing to go to in order to make their visions that winning reality.

This graphic novel has strong writing. The morality of what is happening is questioned throughout the story, but not at the expense of action. The graphics themselves are sharp. They bring the story to life with often grisly detail.

I am looking forward to continuing the story in Volume 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment