Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly adapted and illustrated by John Green



I have a secret. It may seem odd for an English teacher to admit: I don’t really care for most literature before the 20th century. It usually moves a little too slowly for me. If you like it, great. It isn’t my favorite. So, when I find a version of a classic that not only do I kind of like, but I think some of my students might like as well, I doubly enjoy it.

Dover Classics, the people who print very modestly priced classic literature, has a graphic novel division. I didn’t know that before I found this book. It is an abridgment of the original, but the adaptation has stayed fairly true to the original work. The language is not simplified, and I like that. There are worse things than occasionally having to look up a word or two.

Unlike the original, this is not told in a series of letters. It is more straightforward. The narrative is a bit easier to follow, but still gives the flavor of Mary Shelly’s work. It is a decent read.

The illustrations are all in black and white. At the beginning of the book there is an implied invitation for the readers to color the book for themselves. That is something I would never have thought of, a Frankenstein coloring book.

I am find myself ambivalent about this one. On one hand, the lack of color was disappointing and it was not as compelling as I had hoped it would be, nor as dark as I had expected. On the other hand, it was a quick read, it kept the flavor of the original, and it is a good introduction to the original work that could lead reluctant readers into deeper waters. I’d put it into the classroom library.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved a coloring book! Great blog!
    Miss Marnie here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marnie! Please share it with your friends!

    ReplyDelete