Monday, November 3, 2014

Oh Myyy!: There Goes the Internet by George Takei




I love George Takei’s Facebook feed. It is consistently amusing and quirky. I feel much the same way about his book Oh Myyy!: There Goes the Internet.

I have to admit that I had some misconceptions about this book. I thought before reading it that it was nothing more than a collection of the various pics and memes that he has shared on Facebook. It was nothing of the sort.

It is more of a memoir. He tells the story of how “Oh myyy!” became his trademark. He explains how he slowly entered the social media world with Twitter. He has several amusing stories about his Twitter experiences. It is conversational in tone, as though Uncle George is just talking to me. Telling tales.

He goes into how he got into Facebook. And how he was as surprised as anyone else that he became such a sensation. While he could have come off as pompous or self important, he instead seems to be a regular guy. He has his own views on what he should and should not post. He stands by these principles.

I love the self-deprecatory humor, the apparent candor, and yes, the quirkiness of this tale. I also want to reread the last couple of chapters that has tips on how to build and hold on to an audience on Facebook.

I would recommend this book. It was fun. I read the 244 page Kindle version of the book in an evening. Not earth-shattering, but definitely a fun way to spend a Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment