Friday, April 29, 2016

Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K Vaughan



Frankly, I did not know what to expect when I started reading this graphic novel. I have read other works from this author that I thoroughly enjoyed, and read it pretty much based on the fact he wrote it.

I also read it because I have a daughter who really likes graphic novels. The problem with that is finding female protagonists that are not just there for drooly teenage boys (in either age, maturity level, or both). That being the case, I try to look for graphic novels with strong female leads.

One of the things I liked about Paper Girls is that with a full set of female characters, Vaughan gave each of them strengths and weaknesses. In other words, he made them realistic. They were also strong and independent, as exemplified by their job--one traditionally thought of as one for boys.

I enjoyed how the story progressed. It started with normal concerns and problems then gradually morphed into the strange. Seeing how these girls handled the growing weirdness they were getting into was interesting and fun.

There is a fair bit of profanity in the graphic novel. This is not gratuitous; it helps in getting a better idea about some of the characters. But, as a seventh grade teacher, it's enough for me to not put it in my classroom library. In that regard, I think it is more appropriate for older readers.

Overall, I would say to give this one a try. It was a lot of fun and I am looking forward to Volume 2 so I can see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment