Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt



“Everybody is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its life believing it is stupid.”

Ally doesn't fit in. She feels stupid. Whenever she tries to read the letters jump around and it isn't long until the black letters on the white page give her a killer headache. She would rather draw. She's really good at drawing. But if it means not reading, or not writing, she'd rather go to the principal's office.

Then her teacher goes on maternity leave and a new teacher, Mr. Daniels, comes to teach her class. He's different. He doesn't make her feel stupid. While he is there she makes friends with Keisha and Alfred, two students who are also different. I found myself especially identifying with Alfred.

I have to admit, I nearly teared up several times while reading this book. It reminds me a bit of Patricia Polacco's Thank you, Mr. Faulker, and that is a high compliment. The emotions that Hunt is able to bring out--Ally's fears and insecurities, her despair, and her eventual confidence and happiness--are vivid and real. As a teacher I have taught students like Ally, and I wish I could have done it half as gracefully as Mr. Daniels does.

This all strikes me as very realistic. It is more than just a book I want to put in my classroom library, it is a book I want to read aloud to my students. I highly recommend this book. It is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment